Princeton International School of Math and Science (PRISMS)
Job Description: Guidance Counselor, PRISMS
The school counselor position reports to the Dean of Admissions and College Placement and works collaboratively with other team members overseeing the academic and social welfare of students at the Princeton International School of Math and Science (PRISMS), a new international boarding school focused on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects. Since PRISMS’ environment is dynamic, the ideal candidate fully understands the importance of being flexible, patient and cheerful when it pertains to policies and procedures.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Academic counseling, schedule changes, academic support: oversees standardized testing, arranges student teacher meetings, holds one-one-one consultations, arranges tutoring.
- Preparing juniors and seniors for the college application process, including testing, essay writing, college visits, on-campus university visits.
- Providing social guidance-encouraging students’ leadership involvement in clubs, sports, field trips, and student organized events.
- Assisting with the delivery of Guidance Department presentations to faculty, administration, students, and parents.
- Promoting students’ understanding of their rights and responsibilities as school and community citizens; maintaining and defining procedures in the Student Handbook and the school’s Code of Conduct.
- Meeting with students who are having emotional issues, disciplinary and attendance problems, or academic challenges that are adversely affecting their lives and academic development.
- Providing student mediation among roommates, classmates, friends, faculty, administrators, and family members.
- Effectively communicating with parents pertaining to student development, student issues, important school updates as well as sharing announcements and requests.
- Facilitating conflict resolution and implementing anti-bullying school initiatives.
- 5+ years of successful experience working with adolescents in an educational setting and providing college placement and guidance counseling services.
- Master’s degree in Guidance/School Counseling or counseling certification for NJ required.
- Experience using Naviance and the Common Application is required.
- Experience working with STEM students as well as international students is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a boarding school environment is strongly preferred.
- Must exhibit enthusiasm for PRISMS’ mission and for STEM education in general.
- Must demonstrate a “can-do” attitude with effective problem solving skills.
- Must be a self – starter with excellent organizational, communication and human relations skills, as well as a critical thinker who is able to set priorities.
- Must have an excellent sense of humor and an enthusiastic willingness to help build a new school.