Vice President of Academic Services at OSSM
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics (OSSM)
The Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, a public, selective and residential school for mathematically and scientifically inclined high school juniors and seniors drawn from throughout the State of Oklahoma is inviting applications for the position of the Vice President of Academic Services.
The individual will work closely with the school’s president and administration (including VP Administration and Dean of Students) and have broad responsibilities including but not limited to those listed below.
- the supervision of faculty (including fulfilling annual state personnel evaluation requirements)
- convening regular department meetings; reviewing curriculum offerings of each department; monitoring how courses are taught and graded to ensure consistency; meeting regularly with individual faculty; assisting the president in the recruitment and hiring of new faculty
- formulating the academic calendar on an annual basis and the master class schedule
- convening and chairing meetings focused on student academic performance
- interfacing with parents regarding student academic issues.
- working with Dean of Students on handling student disciplinary cases.
- working with the president on the academic operations of OSSM Regional Centers.
- working with President and other staff on academic outreach programs (especially to underserved populations such as rural and inner city communities)
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
General Characteristics and Qualifications
- A distinguished record of professional success.
- Hands-on experience as a school administrator or in performing administrative and management responsibilities.
- An understanding of, and experience with, the unique nature of a residential environment for adolescents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to skillfully work with different constituencies: students, parents, faculty, staff, members of the legislature and of state government, and leaders of other educational entities and institutions.
- Willingness to work long and odd hours (outside the typical school day including early mornings, evenings, weekends and some holidays). Willingness to be “on call” around the clock.
- Strong academic credentials with a minimum of master’s degree; PhD or EdD strongly preferred.
Send resume, cover letter and list of references to: Samantha Chappell, Executive Assistant to the President, OSSM, 1141 N. Lincoln Blvd, OKC, OK 73104.