Assistant Director, Admissions and Public Relations
Application Opening Date: September 8, 2014
The Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky at WKU seeks qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Director, Admissions and Public Relations. The Gatton Academy is a public residential STEM school, established and funded by the Kentucky legislature, on the campus of Western Kentucky University. Students complete their last two years of high school and earn at least 60 hours of college credit. The Gatton Academy was ranked as the most outstanding public high school in the United States by Newsweek/The Daily Beast in 2012, 2013, 2014 and was one of three finalists in the 2012 Intel Schools of Distinction for high schools in science. This is a 12-month position, with an anticipated start date of October 1, 2014. This position reports to the Director of the Academy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Interacts with local, state, and national media sources to publicize the Gatton Academy
- Evolves branding and marketing of the Gatton Academy to further foster school identity
- Collaborates with WKU’s Division of Public Affairs in the annual creation of fresh digital and marketing campaigns
- Acts as liaison with WKU Office of Admissions and Honors College on recruitment partnerships
- Coordinates the admissions process
- Maintains the data flow of applications and correspondence with candidates, families, and schools
- Creates communication lines to inform constituents regularly of the activities, opportunities, and celebrations of the Academy
- Utilizes and develops social media avenues for the Gatton Academy
- Oversees the Gatton Academy website and news blog
- Conducts preview weekends, statewide information sessions, online information sessions, family visits, and school visits to reach out to potential applicants, their families, and educators
- Develops and supports programming for Academy students
- Serves as a member of the Academy Leadership Team
- Oversees Academy Avatars, specialized groups of student ambassadors for the program
- Extensive travel required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Master’s degree in Public Relations, Communication, Marketing, a STEM area, or related fields
- Experience in recruitment and/or public relations
- Superb and demonstrable writing skills
- Experience with gifted students
- Experience developing and maintaining websites using content management systems
- Expertise with technology
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745 - 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
All applications and resumes must be submitted through this online electronic talent management system. Only those individuals who submit all required materials will be considered as eligible applicants. A cover letter which describes your interest and fit for this position is also required. You will receive email notification confirming your application materials have been received. Review of application materials will generally begin as applications are submitted. The expected hire date is on or about October 13, 2014.